I’m not sure who came up with “cool, calm and collected” but if anyone acts that way all of the time they’ve got to be lying.
Or at least I hope so, otherwise I’m seriously jealous of the robot, I mean human, who came up with the phrase. Apparently the Rolling Stones sang about it way before my existence, and I’m thinking it was that long ago that people were able to operate under the paradigm of the three Cs.
I’ve always been one to have personal freak outs. When I was young it was because I’d get frustrated and just wanted someone to listen to me. Now, it’s happens in the quiet of my mind when I get super overwhelmed and lose sight of the goal. I let my anxiety win because I’m worrying too much, playing out false scenarios, not acting on my truth, or thinking instead of doing.
There are days that I feel incredibly calm and good, just good. And there are days I’m freaking the ef out, whether anyone knows it or not. Today is one of the freak outs. But rather than beat myself up, I simply listed all the reasons why it was OK. Because it is.
I’m sure you have these days too – the ones that make you feel uncomfortable. Or stressed. Or so overwhelmed you’re not sure how you’ll get it all done in time. Or insecure because you’re worried about what other people are thinking. Or sick to your stomach that you screwed something up.
We all have these days, moments, hours, weeks. And they’re OK because they’re human. And if I’ve learned anything from my own little attacks, it’s that honoring what they mean is the best way to come out of them. Letting ourselves feel while knowing it’s not something that will endure, is a step required in keeping on.
And here’s why:
- You’re human.
- A freak out is a “wildly irrational reaction or spell of behavior” aka, it’s uncommon. it happens. Irrational is cool sometimes.
- Getting it out is better than harboring it.
- Acknowledgment leads to action
- Your friends love a good freak out. It reminds them they’re normal. Call one to help.
- They wrote a whole song about it. Play it. Plus freak outs are better to music.
- It reminds you to work out and meditate. All things that help calm this so called freak out.